The Fight Scene Rate System

I've complied a list of films with fight scenes. I've rated the fight scenes in the films on a scale from 0-5 stars. It's entirely subjective to my opinion, and I rate based on choreography, storytelling, performance and acting.

So now you know which movies to watch to get some good ole' action. Enjoy!

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Triple Threat (2019)



Iko Uwais vs Tony Jaa: ***

Tony Jaa vs Thai Boxer: **

Iko Uwais vs Tiger Chen: ***3/4

Tony Jaa vs Steiner: ***

Iko Uwais vs Jeeja Yanin: **3/4

Tiger Chen vs Michael Bisping: **3/4

Iko Uwais vs Michael Jai White: ***1/2

Tiger Chen vs Michael Bisping: ***1/4

Tony Jaa/Iko Uwais vs Scott Adkins: ***3/4

Tony Jaa vs Scott Adkins: ****





I thought it was interesting how each of the three leads were booked in this movie. At first I thought Iko's character was meant to be the lead but by the end it was clear to me it was Tony Jaa. Iko barely wins any fights in this movie. He has a stalemate with Jaa early on, which makes sense. He then immediately loses to Chen, which is fine. He defeats Yanin (who I wish had more to do in this flick) in a short skirmish, but in his final clash with White is totally dominated. White beats him down and it's only with Chen's help and a convenient spike that he wins. Villains losing to conveniently placed spikes has got to be one of my least favorite martial arts film tropes. I don't understand why Iko couldn't just beat White straight up; maybe the idea of him defeating a man twice his size, who also knows martial arts, seemed unrealistic to folks. I'm so used to Iko being booked stronger than this so it was weird.

Jaa and Chen, meanwhile, win just about every fight they're in. Chen beats Bisping twice and Jaa gets to beat final boss Adkins. This is to be expected for the heroes but it's just interesting to me how much more shine they get compared to Iko.

The fighting gets really good once Adkins gets involved. Bisping is a bit stiff, clearly still new to the art of screen fighting and White is someone I find hit or miss, depending on the level of the fight directors and choreographers he works with. He was good in his clash with Iko. Chen had to carry Bisping, clearly. Adkins was tremendous as usual. His attacks look so powerful and he clearly conveys a sense of intent with his strikes. You totally buy him handling both Jaa and an injured Iko in a 1 v 2 situation.

The grouping of all this talent was neither a major letdown nor a blow away success. I would very much enjoy a sequel, even if the rogues gallery would no longer include Adkins or White. The three leads are talented enough to leave me wanting more. Recommended.












No comments:

Post a Comment